Motorized Use & the Roadless Process:

Gov. Schweitzer has asked Montanans if the Montana backcountry needs more roads. “System roads” are official, Forest Service roads that show up on national forest maps. They are typically designed for hauling logs, but can be used by light truck or car.

Some official “roadless areas” are open to motorized use such as motorcycles, ATVs and snowmobiles. In other roadless areas, trails are designated for foot and stock traffic only and motorized use is not allowed. The decisions on what areas are appropriate for motors and which are not is left up to the planning process of individual national forests.

No decisions about existing routes, roads, or trails are being made through the Governor’s process.

Several national forests within Montana are rewriting their forest plans, which include designating areas that are and are not suited for motorized recreation.  If you are interested in getting involved in the management of motorized vehicles in your local national forest, please visit the Forest Service website www.fs.fed.us/r1/